At an unpaid internship at a designer label

I was…

>> forced to work over 8 hours a day – sometimes over 10 hours a day (they made me sign a contract in which I had to agree with this)

>> given no payment, no meals, no accommodation, no transport money

>> forced to be available to work on public holidays and week-ends

>> given hard physical, mindless or non-educational work(such as tidying-up)

>>  not given proper training

>> advised by the supervisor not  to ask any questions related to their work as it disturbs them and makes me too nosey

>> not (in the least) to expect a job offer

>> to treat my employer with great kindness and gratitude

>> not even thanked for my work after working at least 480 hours for a profit making company

>> sent on dozens of errands lasting almost all day – even when it was pouring with rain at 10 degrees – with two 20kg heavy suitcases to pull

>> given a letter of recommendation that did not mention the tasks that I HAVE done, but those that I have NOT done(the tasks that were not offered to me in the first place)

>> given a letter of recommendation that makes it look like I have refused to do tasks given to me(which is not the case, since they were just not given to me) and underlines knowledge that I lack, rather that my skills and capabilities

>> after spending hard labour and at least over £1200(money for accommodation, transport and food) on this 3 month internship, giving the company valuable material to make profit on, I was given nothing to help further my career

Generally at this company:

>> when sick, interns still come to work and take painkillers as not to attract attention

>> many interns keep quiet about bad treatment and many hours of no sleep as not to ruin their career

>> the interns have no one to legally support them when they are not even given a decent letter of recommendation

The small UK company is a high fashion label of the fashion industry that “employs” about 15 interns per year. Its owner has only one permanent employee.

This is not only about no wages, but about bad immoral treatment, modern day slavery. I was treated with no respect and it made me feel worthless, even though I know they have gained so much from the work I have done for them. Is this humane? Is this legal?

We need to put an end to this! Please monitor internships and set-up a representative that fights for or rights and black lists such companies!

Also graduates suffer – they don’t find any paid jobs because of all the free labour…

To whoever sent this email in – do get in touch (as anonymously as you like) as we’d like to help you out

23 Responses to “At an unpaid internship at a designer label”

1. 1 Anne 06/14/2012 at 12:49 pm

First, you should report them to HMRC – they are investigating the fashion industry and this is illegal. You can do so anonymously.
    Second, you should tot up how much you worked and issue a claim against them for the equivalent of the minimum age. You will win, as you are entitled to at least the minimum wage for the work you did. Too may businesses are exploiting young people who are desperate to get into the industry when what they are doing is illegal (see my paragraph above).

2. 2 Emily 06/14/2012 at 2:45 pm

I absolutely believe that you have the right to stand up for youself (see Anne). Your silence on this subject is a quiescence, which will not be helpful to anyone, including yourself (let’s face it – even you said there will be no job at the end of this tunnel).

But if you stand up for yourself as Anne suggested, you will encourage many other young people who are also, or will be, trapped in this situation.

In the beginning of ANYTHING it takes only a few people to get the ball rolling and you have nothing to lose. You’ve gotten past the first hurdle already, the first stumbing block for abuse victims, realizing that they have suffered an injustice. This is the most difficult part.

3. 3 Mark 06/16/2012 at 7:08 am

If you made a successful Minimum Wage claim you would receive something in the region of £3,000 in wages that are rightly yours. Claiming is very straightforward, if you would like any help to do so then please feel free to email me (derrywatson@gmail.com) and I will happily tell you everything you need to know.

4. 4 Thea 09/23/2012 at 2:24 pm

This sounds a very similar story to that of my son’s girlfriend who has just left an internship with Reem Al Asadi. Having no prior knowledge of the fashion industry I find it unbelievable that young people are expected to work for nothing and be grateful! I would be interested to know whether minimum wage claims have been succesful?

5. 6 kfunpic.blogspot.fr 04/30/2013 at 8:08 pm

The powder is then processed. Your aim is to build up 200 to
    300 minutes for every week for cardio. For years, scientists have taken out research on these pills, the metabolism remains enhanced for
    further fat burning. It is a fact that green coffee bean
    extract side effects everyone wants to look slim especially of teenagers.
    This will help your body to absorb fat. They can stimulate the
    production of molecules that signal the release of waste from the body.

6. 7 natural oils 05/01/2013 at 5:03 am

Many people who are quick to shell out large sums of
    money to solve this problem may be quite surprised to find that
    in some cases, really excellent results can be gained by using some home remedy treatments.
    Olive Oil – Olive Oil is highly nutritive and stable. If you have rough or dull
    facial skin, massaging daily with a natural oil
    before bed can help to restore moisture.

7. 8 almond oil uses 05/01/2013 at 7:40 am

That enzyme is present in the human gut and inside the nut itself.

Simply mix the oils in a jar and allow it to sit overnight.
    Repeated exposure to sun can cause sunburns and skin cancer.

8. 9 refinishing hardwood floors 05/12/2013 at 8:01 am

Hey, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your website in Safari, it looks
    fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it
    has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick
    heads up! Other then that, terrific blog!

9. 10 Linda 05/16/2013 at 2:27 am

If you are looking strictly for jojoba oil, Now Foods has a very good selection.
    It is also anti-fungal so if you are unlucky enough to acquire a fungal infection this
    can help with that. Active ingredients are needed in smaller quantities than base ingredients
    and are considered to have a more targeted and therapeutic effects.

10. 11 www.inventati.org 05/21/2013 at 8:30 pm

In fact no matter if someone doesn’t know afterward its up to other people that they will assist, so here it takes place.

11. 12 buy Xanax 05/21/2013 at 9:13 pm

Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization?

I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results.
    If you know of any please share. Appreciate
    it!

12. 13 Florene 05/23/2013 at 9:52 pm

Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace
    group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks

13. 14 Thalia 05/30/2013 at 7:04 am

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing problems with
    your website. It appears as if some of the text
    within your content are running off the screen.
    Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them
    as well? This might be a problem with my web browser because
    I’ve had this happen previously. Many thanks

14. 15 rheumatic heart disease 06/01/2013 at 12:41 am

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for assistive devices

15. 16 Going Here 06/03/2013 at 4:21 pm

You have among the best web sites.

16. 17 Marcus 06/04/2013 at 7:57 am

Your own article provides established beneficial to me. It’s quite useful and you’re naturally quite knowledgeable in this region. You have opened up my own sight in order to numerous views on this kind of topic with intriguing, notable and solid content material.

17. 18 Jed 06/06/2013 at 8:49 am

great put up, very informative. I ponder why the other
    experts of this sector don’t notice this. You must proceed your writing. I’m sure,
    you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

18. 19 Agnes 07/04/2013 at 12:51 pm

The reason is that the healthiest nutrition that consists of nutrition from all food groups is the top eating habits for everybody.
    Once you know those foods that are low on the gylcemic index and 15 grams of carbs per serving.
    Low carb veg dieting by blood type gave me my life back.
    Cookie dieting by blood type is a cure all for obesity.

Modern conveniences make it very easy to gain weight and you will see the positive results soon.
    Why not diet and treat your gout naturally guaranteed!

19. 20 media marketing 07/09/2013 at 10:08 pm

To the younger generations it makes perfect sense when looking at the lives of those people who have a heightened
    awareness of the problem? marketing Strategy – Reciprocation Reciprocation
    is powerful and reciprocation works. Firstly, you will find
    a truly wonderful program that defies all of the benefits of Marketing.

20. 21 Generateur De Code PSN 07/10/2013 at 4:10 pm

Simply wish to say your article is as astounding.
    The clarity to your put up is simply nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Fine along with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to
    stay up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please
    keep up the rewarding work.

21. 22 small business loans 10/01/2013 at 6:40 pm

Good site you have here.. It’s hard to find high quality writing
    like yours these days. I honestly appreciate individuals like you!

Take care!!

1. 1 The internship sector in India: unregulated and largely ignored Trackback on 07/23/2012 at 4:12 pm